Child Support Modifications

On July 1, 2014, Virginia's child support guidelines changed dramatically for the first time in nearly 20 years. The new law affects all initial petitions for child support filed on or after that date. There will be a much larger impact, however, on parents who are already paying or receiving child support under an existing court order.

Three Key Factors Regarding Modification Of Child Support Orders In Virginia

Whether you are the payer or recipient, here are three key points to be aware of before proceeding:

1.) The new formula raises the minimum monthly child support guideline amounts across the board. It gives judges greater discretion. And it includes guideline amounts for gross monthly income figures up to $35,000. In practical terms, the effects here will likely be significant for anyone with a gross monthly income of $14,000 or more.

2.) The custodial parent no longer has to pay the first $250 of unreimbursed medical expenses each year. Instead, all unreimbursed medical expenses for the calendar year will be shared proportionately based on each parent's respective income.

3.) Prior to the new law taking effect, parents seeking to modify an existing child support order were required to show a material change in circumstances that would justify the request. In real terms, this requirement effectively kept many people out of court. The changes enacted on July 1, 2014, however, are substantial enough to justify modification requests provided there would be a significant change in the child support amount under the new guidelines.

Duff & Kronfeld, P.C. Can Help You

Our custody and visitation attorneys have been helping parents in northern Virginia secure child support modifications and successfully oppose such requests for more than 20 years. We will help you understand the laws and guide you to the best choices for your situation.

To learn more about this law and how it might affect you, call us in Fairfax at 703-591-7475 or contact us online, and ask to schedule a confidential appointment with one of our lawyers.