Duff & Kronfeld, P.C.
Contact Us
View Our Practice Areas

June 2015 Archives

Congratulations to Adam Kronfeld!

The Duff Law Firm is proud to announce that Adam Kronfeld has been made a Principal of the firm. Adam initially began working with The Duff Law Firm as a law clerk while he completed his studies at The George Mason University School of Law. Following his graduation and passing the Virginia Bar Exam in 2005, Adam began his career as a practicing attorney. Since then, Adam has focused his practice on family law matters, legal malpractice, personal injury and general civil litigation.

Returning To Your Maiden Name After Divorce

By: David L. Duff, Esquire
For reasons that probably date back to the Dark Ages, women have regularly, following marriage, assumed the surname of their husband. More recently, hyphenating both spouses' surnames has come into vogue; however, this compromise does not fully answer the question: How do I reclaim my maiden name after a divorce?
Virginia has actually streamlined the process, and made it quite easy for a divorced woman to be restored to the use of her maiden name. Most often, this is accomplished merely by requesting such relief as part of the divorce filing. The final divorce order will, as a matter of course, include language that orders that you be allowed to use a former name.
For various reasons, generally associated with the existence of minor children and a desire to avoid potential confusion, a woman may decide after a divorce has been entered, that she wishes to resume the use of her maiden name. In this case, since the divorce option is no longer available for effectuating this desire, Virginia has adopted a procedure for a legal change of name. One need only file with the clerk of the circuit court where you reside, a sworn Petition for Name Change, reciting therein the statutory information required in Virginia Code ยง 8.01-217. An appropriate Order of Name Change is normally filed at the same time as the Petition. There is never any requirement to appear in Court; and, after a few weeks, you will receive a certified copy of the Order restoring you to the use of your desired name. The court will automatically send a copy of this name change order to the Bureau of Vital Statistics in Richmond for processing.
If you desire to change your name, any attorney at The Duff Law Firm would be happy to assist. Call (703) 591-7475 to schedule an appointment.

Email Us For A Response

Contact Us Today For Knowledgeable And Client-Centered Assistance

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Duff & Kronfeld, P.C.
11320 Random Hills Road, Suite 630
Fair Oaks Commerce Center
Fairfax, VA 22030

Phone: 703-591-7475
Fax: 703-273-4537
Fairfax Law Office Map