Duff & Kronfeld, P.C.
Contact Us
View Our Practice Areas

March 2016 Archives

How Long Will I Be Required To Pay Alimony?

Assuming that circumstances dictate that one spouse pay spousal support (i.e., alimony) to the other spouse, then Virginia law authorizes judges to order that such support be payable either: (1) indefinitely (commonly referred to as "permanent alimony"); or (2) for a defined duration (commonly referred to as "limited alimony").

The Divorce Process Isn't Necessarily Over When the Divorce Order is Signed

Your divorce case is over, a judge has signed a Final Order of Divorce, and anything and everything is over and now done, right? Not necessarily. Even after you are divorced, there may still be some matters of significant importance for you to attend to before you have completely resolved all the legal issues arising from your marriage. The following is a partial list of issues that may need to still be addressed after your divorce.

Can I Make My Spouse File A Joint Tax Return?

Under the current tax laws of our county, if two individuals are still legally married, albeit living separate and apart from each other, as of the last day in any calendar year (i.e., December 31), then they retain the right to file a joint income tax return for that particular year. Filing their tax return in a "married filing jointly" allows these individuals to enjoy the benefit of being taxed at the lowest possible tax rate.

Email Us For A Response

Contact Us Today For Knowledgeable And Client-Centered Assistance

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Duff & Kronfeld, P.C.
11320 Random Hills Road, Suite 630
Fair Oaks Commerce Center
Fairfax, VA 22030

Phone: 703-591-7475
Fax: 703-273-4537
Fairfax Law Office Map