Duff & Kronfeld, P.C.
Contact Us
View Our Practice Areas

Can I stop making support payments once I declare bankruptcy? Not a good idea.

Oftentimes clients believe that declaring some form of bankruptcy puts an immediate freeze on paying their debts, including the payment of court ordered child and spousal support. Making this assumption is not only incorrect, but can be very costly.

Under Title 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code, a "domestic support obligation" specifically includes support payments to "a spouse, former spouse, or child of the debtor or such child's parent, legal guardian, or responsible relative...." In fact, pursuant to11 U.S.C. 362(b)(2) of the Code, domestic support obligations are not stayed upon any bankruptcy filing.

As such, it is clear that a party making domestic support payments cannot simply avoid this obligation by declaring bankruptcy. Failure to pay is not only impermissible, but the party who fails to make required support payments will likely be required to pay any arrearage, plus interest, face potential sanctions from the court, and pay attorney's fees.

To learn more about the impact of bankruptcy proceedings on your domestic support obligation(s), please contact The Duff Law Firm for a complementary, 30-minute consultation. (703) 591-7475.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Us Today For Knowledgeable And Client-Centered Assistance

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Duff & Kronfeld, P.C.
11320 Random Hills Road, Suite 630
Fair Oaks Commerce Center
Fairfax, VA 22030

Phone: 703-591-7475
Fax: 703-273-4537
Fairfax Law Office Map