Duff & Kronfeld, P.C.
Contact Us
View Our Practice Areas

I Just Lost My Job. Do I Have to Keep Paying Court-Ordered Support?

We often receive questions from individuals who have recently lost their jobs asking whether they still have to pay their court ordered child and/or spousal support. The answer is a resounding YES!

Following a job loss, even though an individual may be without the financial means to pay support, that does not alleviate their court-ordered obligation. If you have lost your job and need to adjust the amount of support you are paying, you must file a motion with the court to decrease the amount of support. There are a multitude of factors that go into the court's determination of whether to decrease the amount of support you owe, and there are important differences between child and spousal support, including your income and the income of the person receiving the support.

It is significant to note that even once you file your motion to decrease support, you still must continue to pay the court-ordered support pending a final hearing on your motion. Should you fail to pay your court-ordered, the partying that is receiving support can file an action in court requesting that the court hold you in contempt and even that you be thrown in jail! Should any such action be filed against, it is important for you to immediately contact an attorney to discuss your situation.

If you find yourself in a position where your support obligation(s) need to be modified, or where the other parent is attempting to do so, contact an attorney at Duff Kronfeld & Marquardt, P.C. for a complimentary, 30-minute consultation at (703) 591-7475.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Us Today For Knowledgeable And Client-Centered Assistance

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Duff & Kronfeld, P.C.
11320 Random Hills Road, Suite 630
Fair Oaks Commerce Center
Fairfax, VA 22030

Phone: 703-591-7475
Fax: 703-273-4537
Fairfax Law Office Map