Duff & Kronfeld, P.C.
Contact Us
View Our Practice Areas

Can I move out of town with my kids?

We often receive calls from clients asking "If I am planning to separate from my spouse and I want to move out of the area with my children, can I do that?" This is a complex question that has no universal answer.

In the scenario where the parties have separated, but there is no court order in place regarding custody and visitation, each party is free to do as he or she pleases with the children as it pertains to custody and visitation. Put simply, if there is no custody order in place, then, yes, a party can move away with the children. However, this decision is not without consequences and can cause significant issues later in any subsequent litigation.

For example, if Mom decides to move from Fairfax to North Carolina with the children before any orders have been entered by the court, she is free to do so. However, upon learning of her intention to take the children to North Carolina, Dad is likely to file a petition for custody and visitation with the Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court and file an emergency motion requesting that Mom be prevented from removing the children from Virginia.

If this situation does arise, one can imagine that the court may not look too fondly upon the parent who tried to remove the children from the state and away from the other parent. Of course, the moving party may have valid reasons for wanting to move that would justify the decision. Determining how to proceed in this scenario is a significant decision with potentially serious repercussions and you should contact an experienced attorney to discuss your options.

If you have any questions or would like to discuss your legal matter with an attorney, please contact Duff Kronfeld & Marquardt P.C. for a complementary, 30-minute consultation. (703) 591-7475.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Us Today For Knowledgeable And Client-Centered Assistance

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Duff & Kronfeld, P.C.
11320 Random Hills Road, Suite 630
Fair Oaks Commerce Center
Fairfax, VA 22030

Phone: 703-591-7475
Fax: 703-273-4537
Fairfax Law Office Map