How To Choose A Family Law Attorney
Whether you are facing divorce, a parent-child relocation, considering entering into a marital agreement, or have any other family law issue, you deserve to trust your family law attorney. Family law problems are very personal. We know how daunting it can be to choose your lawyer. For that reason, we have compiled a short list of things you may consider when seeking an attorney:
- Communication is important — Having access to your attorney and legal team throughout the process can help you to navigate the complex issues. There are many choices to make during the divorce process. You deserve to have the information you need to make informed decisions. The lawyers and staff at Duff & Kronfeld, P.C. in Fairfax are committed to communicating openly with our clients every step of the way.
- Experience matters — Whether you expect a fairly amicable divorce or believe that your spouse will not be willing to negotiate reasonable, the experience of your lawyer can make a significant difference in the results. You deserve to work with an attorney who has effectively handled family law problems similar to yours. Our experienced lawyers know how to address the common — and not so common — issues that individuals face.
- Broad legal knowledge is vital — In complex divorces involving contentious disputes over assets, business interests or child custody concerns, you need a lawyer on your side who can evaluate the details without losing sight of the big picture. A divorce settlement or judgment of the court will impact your life after divorce. Our knowledge of the full contours of the law in high-stakes and challenging child custody matters is a valuable asset for our clients.
- Focus is critical — The law is ever-changing. The issues that can arise in family court are highly personal. Your life after divorce will be affected by the decisions you make today. Our attorneys and legal team keep a sharp focus on resolving family law problems without ever losing sight of the ultimate goal.
- Skills inside and outside of the courtroom can make all the difference — Many family law problems are resolved through effective negotiations or skilled guidance in meditation. Our trial-proven attorneys can stand strong in the courtroom, but many cases need to be resolved efficiently. We build strong legal positions and leverage our courtroom skills to achieve the best possible outcome whether or not the other side is willing to negotiate reasonably.
- Get it in writing — It is strongly recommended that attorneys and their clients enter into a written fee agreement, which describes the scope of the legal services to be performed and the financial arrangements for payment of the legal fees. Hiring an attorney is serious business and can often involve significant sums of money. Having a written fee agreement will protect both the client and the attorney from any potential disputes.
To arrange a confidential consultation with a lawyer with substantial family law experience throughout Northern Virginia, send us a brief message online or call 703-591-7475.