Experienced Property Division Representation
How Duff & Kronfeld, P.C. Can Help You When Dividing Your Assets
Duff & Kronfeld, P.C. understands that your financial condition following your divorce may be wholly dependent on the assets you are able to keep. Accurately classifying and valuing assets and debts that comprise your “marital estate” are of utmost importance to us because they are important to you.
With more than 30 years of experience successfully handling complex property division cases throughout Northern Virginia, our attorneys possess the experience necessary to help ensure that your interests and your financial future are protected. Our areas of legal skill include:
- Dividing highly valued assets
- Locating hidden banks accounts and other hard-to-find assets
- Evaluating ownership interests and assets in businesses
- Preserving your retirement savings
Equitable Distribution Of Marital Assets In Virginia
Virginia law treats marital property – assets that are acquired during the marriage – different from separate property belonging to each spouse. Marital property is divided equitably – but not necessarily equally – in a manner the court determines to be fair.
In Virginia, the court is required under Virginia Code § 20-107.3(E) to consider and weigh 11 specific categories of facts, which cover a wide variety of topics and circumstances, including:
- The nature of each particular asset such as its liquidity and when and how it was acquired
- How each party has contributed to the acquisition and maintenance of each asset
- How each party has generally contributed to the well-being of the family during the marriage
- Whether either party has wasted, destroyed or dissipated marital property
- The physical and mental condition of each spouse
- The length of the marriage
Additionally, the court may use its discretion to consider other factors as it “deems necessary or appropriate” to divide the estate equitably. The subjectivity of the court’s analysis and ruling regarding your asset division makes your choice of lawyer vitally important.
You Have Too Much To Lose. We Can Help.
Call Duff & Kronfeld, P.C. in Fairfax at 703-591-7475 for confidential and skillful legal assistance with the division of your property. You may also send us your questions online after reviewing our answers to common property division questions.